Complaints against the door-to-door magazine seller Eksentrik Clearing Services LLC
of Portland, Ore., just keep stacking up.
Since issuing Don't Subscribe to High Pressure Magazine Sales and Issues Arise When Issues Don't Arrive in summer 2011, Better Business Bureau serving Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington has received more than 80 additional complaints.
Complainants indicate that the company does not send publications and can not be reached for cancellations after subscriptions are purchased; with 116 total complaints, 113 remain unanswered. Most victims reside in Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa and Texas.
Due to complaint activity, Eksentrik Clearing Services - which also goes by Future Inspirator Training Club Inc., FIT Club Inc. and ECS LLC - receives an "F" rating from BBB.
If approached by door-to-door sellers:
- Find out what they are selling. Be especially cautious with magazines or other products that must be ordered and can't be delivered instantly. Get details upfront to help avoid subscription scams.
- Take a moment to verify credibility. If interested, ask solicitors to provide printed materials with full contact information and tell them to return later - allow time to do research on state licensing, bbb.org and other websites. If salespeople seem suspicious, contact their businesses to confirm affiliation.
- Check if area permits are required for door-to-door selling. If so, ask solicitors to show proof.
- Avoid high-pressure offers that must be redeemed "immediately." Ask if items are available through stores, secure websites, catalogs or other methods instead.
- Be careful with personal information. Don't just give out sensitive data when asked; inquire why it is needed and make sure companies are reputable first. Never release Social Security numbers or other identifiers to sellers.
Pay attention to payments. Be wary of companies that offer limited options - such as "cash only." Before buying, ask for purchase paperwork and return policies. Understand the FTC's Cooling-Off Rule and save receipts.